Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Because PMB is not as bad as you keep telling me


I'm currently residing in PMB or, as it is affectionately called, Sleepy Hollow. It's one of those places where they put up speed bumps instead of robots, where people keep chickens and cows as pets and where there are more pothole warnings than road name signs... That last point makes it almost like The Village: the insiders do everything to keep the outsiders out by frustrating them until they give up and leave. I swear, I once had to do 12 U-turns before finding the place I was looking for.


Here, instead of fixing potholes, the erecting
of a sign post helps the
municipality evade liability
 
That said, I love PMB. It does need a few improvements... like a second gym, a paintball arena, go-karting, some nightlife, stores that stay open after 6pm, another cinema house, perhaps even cinema nouveau... basically PMB needs a life. But, it's calming and considering that I refuse to trade in my 240-page mapbook for a Garmin, it suits me.
I never ever thought of myself as a city girl when I stayed in Durban, but here I stand out as one. Compared to the farm women I had interviewed who grows, makes and eats everything natural, I am the ultimate urbanite who is slowly being taught how to be less materialistic and appreciate the beauty of life. 

Everything is a complete change from what I'm used to but the bunch of eccentricities (I call them that out of pure affection) that I work with make my life more fun than going out every night would.
Every person who goes out into the world to live
on their own has a oh-shit-i-flooded-my-apartment
moment.
 
Plus living on my own is a awesome. Some days its a bummer and you end up doing stupid things like flooding your apartment, spilling nail polish on the rented carpet or flopping your favourite recipe because you didn't have butter and attempted using buttro instead. Cough Cough. Plus there's the never ending housework that generally tends to pile up due to procrastination. When I was at campus and lived alone, a sunny day meant lying in the park absorbing the sun. Now, when I see the sun out I think, 'Damn, I should have done my washing yesterday'.


some areas have more cows standing
at the side of the road then road
name signs

Despite all this, I love it.

In fact, I have come to love this little town even though I'm hardly here on the weekends. It's quirky and, according to my friend Jerusha, there's even a town cryer... one of the last in the world (I assume). My next quest is to get a photo of this guy.

So, regardless of what everyone keeps telling me, PMB is not as bad as you think. It's not dead and boring, but alive and beautiful. I think it's slowing making me feel alive again... but then I was never the all-clubbing, all-drinking, all-hard-partying type... Hmmm

No comments: