Sunday, March 27, 2011

No such thing as bad publicity

Thanks to all the hate rants and 'thumbs down' votes that Rachel Black's 'Friday' song has been receiving, I've had
"It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend, weekend "

stuck in my head the entire weekend, in that annoyingly screechy, muppet villian type voice.



Everybody may think that's it's the worst song ever made and because of that the kid has been trending on Twitter for the last week or so, but Black is pulling in the moola and may even be a millionaire in her teens. In fact, I even see 'Friday' becoming a trend and being sung to in clubs and at parties because it catchy, simple and so stupid that it automatically picks up the mood. If Aqua's 'Barbie Girl' could do it, why not 'Friday'.

The thing is, there have been worst tracks in the history of mankind. Unfortunately, it is the bad songs that seem to be remembered word-for-word rather than the most brilliant songs. Maybe because we laugh just thinking about them, quote them all the time and hear people mocking them constantly.

One such song is Chelley 'Took the Night'. I hated it the first time I heard it on the radio. I thought it was the worst song I ever heard. After months of mocking it and mocking people who sing it at clubs, it became my ringtone. And now I sing in the shower.



Honestly, I think that the whiny monotone teenage is an accidental genius, much like the Scaffold was with their days-of-the-week song. It's how cult follwings begin... with something really bad that was hated by many people.

Man, I wish I sang 'Friday'. I swear my voice is just as bad.



No comments: