Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What? That got an Oscar?


While I did not watch the 83rd
Annual Academy Awards,
the Oscars just seem to
have lost it's gleam.

I’ve never really been into the Oscars or any film award shows until 2009 when I had spent most of June watching movies at the Durban International Film Festival. I had watched almost every film nominated before the night, so I had favourites that I was rooting for.
Living in PMB for the last six months, I seem to have been kicked out the loop of the movie world. The one cinema here houses only mainstream films and screens Leon Schuster for two months.
However, in my catching up, I find myself less and less impressed by this year’s nominated films. As a budding film director, I feel despondent despite continuously viewing film after film trying to find something that excites me and inspires me to make something just as brilliant.
A friend of mine had been ranting and raving about some of the awards, pointing out the many great films that have never received an Oscar. This year, however, I can’t think of any film or performance more worthy than those that have been nominated or have won. Was it simply a mediocre year at the movies?
Colin Firth finally grabs the Best Actor award
for 'The King's Speech', though I must admit
I enjoyed 'A Single Man' more.
Last night I watched 'The King's Speech' and was somewhat disappointed. It's a great movie. Brilliantly filmed with exceptional performances... in fact, everything in the movie is perfect, except for the fact that it's extremely average. I forgot about it half an hour after it ended, forcing myself to try and think of something that makes it worthy for its Best Picture award. Maybe it was simply perfect; the type of perfect that Natalie Portman loses her mind to in Black Swan, the type of perfect that audiences don't really care about.
In terms of the winners, I think David Fincher should have earned the Oscar bragging rights for Best Director and maybe Hailee Steinfeld for Best Supporting Actress. Other than that, I pretty much lay on the indifferent fence, apathetic about the options. I do have one question, how does Jeff Bridges always get on the list?

It’s been a while since I’ve found a film gobsmackingly sublime. That said, there are many films that I have watched and loved of recent, but that spellbinding after effect that leaves you walking around for days still thinking about the movie seems to be lacking from all of them.
It makes me think of a quote from one of my all time favourite movies, 'Fight Club':
“Everything is just a copy of a copy of a copy”
Has the film industry run out of new and amazing ideas? Or are audiences happy with the mediocre entertainment they are being dished?
Maybe I have just watched way too many films…

6 comments:

Tharuna said...

A plausible reason: http://www.cracked.com/article_19012_5-hollywood-secrets-that-explain-why-so-many-movies-suck.html?utm_source=facebook

Niv said...

Thats a pretty good article. Alot of insight. Are you the theruiner?

Tharuna said...

Sup Niv. Are you talking about the cracked.com article? or mine? Haha if you talking about mine, theruiner is a great play on my name

Niv said...

i meant the cracked article. To be honest i didnt really make it throught yours. Its a little sad thou that im not really aware of the movies you were referring to but i do agree with your assessment on the lack of truly great movies. What happened to Guy Ritchie and his ilk. Im gonna stick to cartoons, atleast there is still some originality there. Come to think about it i cant remember the last time i read a great book. I see this as proof that the word is ending. Bring on the global warming catastrophy and the Mayan end of the world, i.ll clutch on tightly to my copy of LOTR and my Lion King dvd and go gently into the night

Niv said...

Oh and awesome play on the name. You really have to much time on your hands it seems

Tharuna said...

LOL i didnt write the cracked article. it is brilliant though. glad you getting back into the cartoons:)